Nexplanon vs Implanon: Which is Better – Differences and Similarities

Our friend Pam wants an effective method of birth control. She says she’s undecided between either Nexplanon or Implanon because she isn’t sure about which one is better.

Turns out she is not the only one “debating” the choice as can be seen in the following questions we came across the internets.

From Yahoo! Answers:

Nexplanon VS. Implanon birthcontrol?
So im considering getting one of the 2, but ive heard terrible side affects with implanon and havent heard much about nexplanon(im guessing b/c its new?) So my question(s) are: How was/is implanon for you, side affects? How was/is nexplanon for you, side affects? I know they are basically the same but the doctor tht created implanon created nexplanon b/c implanon had very severe affects to women. please tell me which one you would suggest for me. If it helps, im 17(although everyone is different) and ive never been on BC.

And this one is from a babygaga forum:

I have implanon right now, and i’ve had it for two years now…. i don’t have too many problems with it, except that my periods are all sorts of crazy….heavy…and long…and random… also, i’m not sure if my mood changes are a symptom from it either.

SOOO….. tell me what the differences are vs. implanon and nexplanon…

Yeah, we understand why women are confused about this for, after all:

• They’re both made by the same pharmaceutical company, Merck.
  • They’re both very effective birth control methods (99.95% effective).
  • They’re both subdermal contraceptive implant which should be removed after three years.
  • They contain the same amount of etonogestrel. Nexplanon is a bioequivalent of Implanon.
  • They both have the same side effects.

But the difference between the two is that insertion errors (such as placing the implant too deeply) are less likely to happen with Nexplanon because it is equipped with a preloaded applicator which is designed to reduce insertion errors.

Secondly, Nexplanon is radiopaque which means that it can be seen with the help of an x-ray, computed tomography (CT scan), ultrasound scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This makes it easier for medical professionals to see whether the implant was inserted correctly.

So there! Now you know the difference between the two. It’s no contest now which one to pick between Implanon or Nexplanon, isn’t it?

More from your comments:

Daisy: So far its being 11 months with nexplanon. The first day i had a horrible headache! And i still have headaches once a while. Ive had just spottting, and for The last 3 months ive had no period and this worries me bc I don’t want to get cancer if it continues. I’ve also had libido decresed and mood swings. And I won’t loose weight.

christi: So I have had my Nexplanon for about 2 weeks. I hate it! They told me I would have spotting, but I had random multiple daily breakthrough bleeding and massive clots…I don’t like this thing. I should have stuck with my IUD (paraguard- which I loved). I keep readying about weight gain and its freaking me out; I went through that with Depo years ago. My doctor will not take this nexplanon out because she says side effects will stop in 6 months. I am scared of the weight and this bleeding. She gave me a prescription for Apri (birth control) (Large doses daily to stop the bleeding but I have no idea what happens after this. I just kind of want it out. :( Wish I would have researched more. I don’t see anything positive about this.

Kasey: I had implanon put in a while back, used my nuvaring for 3 months or so during to help regulate the bleeding. Had no side effects. Until….I quit using my nuvaring and gained a ton of weight, for me. I’ve always been around 125-130lbs or so, with Implanon, I ballooned to 145 in less than 2 months (for a 5’4″ that’s a lot of weight, went up like 2 dress sizes). Had it taken out a few months later, and shed 10 lbs in about a month. Want to tell me it was my eating habits? Don’t think so.

Abby: Implanon and nexplanon are the SAME THING. The ONLY difference is one is radiopaque and the other is not. They are of the same hormonal composition. So if you see a difference b/w implanon and nexplanon its all in your head.

Skye: I’ve had Nexplanon for a year and a half now. I didn’t have any periods until recently which are worst than they’ve ever been before, and I gained a ton of weight. No matter how good I eat or how much I exercise the weight won’t go away. Though I hate the new periods the most. I am thinking of switching to implanon.

Shenell: I just got nexplanon a little under a month ago and I’ve been spotting and bleeding for 14 days now is this normal and it this how I’m going be bleeding for the next 3 years

Katie: implanon and nexplanon are round about the same thing. I received the implanon the first year I started this contraceptive. I enjoyed it! lost weight while on it, but my periods were WILD! on the nexplanon, I have gained the weight and more back and have cramped more and had more back pain. Nexplanon is actually scarier than Implanon because you never know if it is truly working if you are having periods all the time. I did not have a choice when I went in to get the nexplanon since they had replaced impalnon with it.

Comments

1. LuvMyImplanon says

I know that this is a bit of a late response, but to the commenter who asked if the implant was broken… I’ve had my implant for five years (on my second one). For about a year after I got it, I kept worrying that it was broken because it felt funny when I touched it. I wound up talking to my doctor about it, who laughed at me because she’s had so many people come in and ask her about the same thing. So, unless you’ve hit your arm against something, I would say you’re probably fine.

2. Jessica says

Nexplanon has replaced Implanon so unless there is a clinic out there with a leftover stock of Implanon, they will offer you Nexplanon instead.

3. Courtnee says

I have hae Nexplanon for almost 2 years now. It works magic let me tell you. But it effects every woman differently. With most of my friends who also have it, including me, it has helped with acne so much and the period problem. I’ve always had a irreguoar period, sometimes being heavy and others not. With Nexplanon i was on my period non-stop for about the first 3 months. All i wanted to do was get it removed, but i stuck through it. Today, i have not had my period in almost 9 months. To some that seems scary, but to me, i love it. No more buying tampons all the time or worrying when im going to start. I also lost quite a bit of weight. I lost 15 pounds in the first 2 months of having it. As scary as it is, i have had un protected sex, PLENTY of times and have not gotten pregnant. This has worked magic for me, and i highly recommend it. The beginning will more than likely be hell, but in the long run its worth it and it lasts 3 years.
    *For all you ladies out there, i do not recommend getting and IUD, I Know a few ladies whom have gotten pregnant with it.
    Thanks, hope i helped a little bit!

4. nik says

I had the Implanon and it was great. Awesome for me. Now I got the Nexplanon and I can’t for the life of me lose weight. In the month I’ve had it, I have gained about 15 pounds. I work out 5-6x a week up to 2 hours + a day and had bloodwork done and everything was fine. I see Loren has had that problem an someone give me answers? Thx

5. sabrina says

I have implanon for almost 3yrs and only problem is spotting once in a while until recently I’m getting a period. My doc said it would do that so other then that i have lost over 30lbst with it and hope when i get it changed in April i don’t have to get nexplanon since i have herd woman say bad things about it but looks like I’m going to have to.

6. LILMAMA says

I HAD IMPLANON FOR 3 YEARS I LOVED IT BUT I JUST HAD CRAZY CYCLES LIKE TWICE A MONTH NOW I HAVE NEXPLANON ITS NO DIFFERENCE ITS JUST THE SAME THING A DIFFERNT NAME BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE NEXPLANON WHEN GETTING AN XRAY AND YOU CANT SEE IMPLANON WITH AN XRAY BUT IT HAS ALMOST BEEN A MONTH SINCE IVE GOT IMPLANON REMOVED BECAUSE MY THREE YEARS WAS UP NOW I HAVE NEXPLANON I HAVENT GOT A CYCLE WHEN I HAVE SEX NOW ITS ALOT OF CREAMY STUFF AND MY BREAST ARE SORE SO IM GOING TO THE DOC TO GET A CHECK UP GOOD LUCK LADIES

7. venice says

I am a little in love with Implanon. I have just had my 4th implant inserted.

Implanon:
    The1st and 2nd implants I had were implanons (6years), and with these I actually lost weight and always had a very easy-to-maintain, slender figure. I never had periods.. maybe 2/3 in the 3 years for which they are inserted.

Nexplanon:
    The 3rd I had was Nexplanon. During this time my weight ballooned (I put it down to natural fluctuations with age), but shortly after having it removed I lost everything and am back to my slender self! <3 Again, I experienced periods seldomly.

I have just had my 4th implanon inserted. I am very excited and hope to experience the same results as the first 2! (easy weight loss & no periods)
    Ofcourse, as I said, I am in love with IMPLANON, every body is different and reacts in different ways, I cannot predict how your body or hormones will react to it. Although my doctor tells me that usually your first experience repeats, in that if you experienced heavy bleeding or weight gain the first time, you likely will the 2nd time.

Hope this helps! x