your online guide to good health
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Nexplanon vs Implanon: Which is Better – Differences and Similarities

Our friend Pam wants an effective method of birth control. She says she’s undecided between either Nexplanon or Implanon because she isn’t sure about which one is better. Turns out she is not the only one “debating” the choice as can be seen in the following questions we came across the internets.

From Yahoo! Answers:

Nexplanon VS. Implanon birthcontrol?
So im considering getting one of the 2, but ive heard terrible side affects with implanon and havent heard much about nexplanon(im guessing b/c its new?) So my question(s) are: How was/is implanon for you, side affects? How was/is nexplanon for you, side affects? I know they are basically the same but the doctor tht created implanon created nexplanon b/c implanon had very severe affects to women. please tell me which one you would suggest for me. If it helps, im 17(although everyone is different) and ive never been on BC.

And this one is from a babygaga forum:

I have implanon right now, and i’ve had it for two years now…. i don’t have too many problems with it, except that my periods are all sorts of crazy….heavy…and long…and random… also, i’m not sure if my mood changes are a symptom from it either.

SOOO….. tell me what the differences are vs. implanon and nexplanon…

Yeah, we understand why women are confused about this for, after all:

• They’re both made by the same pharmaceutical company, Merck.
  • They’re both very effective birth control methods (99.95% effective).
  • They’re both subdermal contraceptive implant which should be removed after three years.
  • They contain the same amount of etonogestrel. Nexplanon is a bioequivalent of Implanon.
  • They both have the same side effects.

But the difference between the two is that insertion errors (such as placing the implant too deeply) are less likely to happen with Nexplanon because it is equipped with a preloaded applicator which is designed to reduce insertion errors.

Secondly, Nexplanon is radiopaque which means that it can be seen with the help of an x-ray, computed tomography (CT scan), ultrasound scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This makes it easier for medical professionals to see whether the implant was inserted correctly.

So there! Now you know the difference between the two. It’s no contest now which one to pick between Implanon or Nexplanon, isn’t it?

Additional Readings on Nexplanon:
Does Nexplanon Cause Depression
Nexplanon Side Effects
Nexplanon Failure, Proper Insertion Technique, and Ovulation After Removal

9 comments

1 t t { 12.01.12 at 11:24 pm }

Ok so I got the nexplanon put in one year ago I love having this implant. I touched my arm at the insertion site and it feels like it is broke. I haven’t gotten pregnant but I am just wondering if it is broke is it something I should be worried about. Please let me know

2 LuvMyImplanon { 03.16.13 at 3:33 pm }

I know that this is a bit of a late response, but to the commenter who asked if the implant was broken… I’ve had my implant for five years (on my second one). For about a year after I got it, I kept worrying that it was broken because it felt funny when I touched it. I wound up talking to my doctor about it, who laughed at me because she’s had so many people come in and ask her about the same thing. So, unless you’ve hit your arm against something, I would say you’re probably fine.

3 Maddylove411 { 06.18.13 at 12:54 am }

I’m doing lots of research between the two birthcontrols . Yet I still do not know, which is more affective, has more pros than cons. Also, has worked better for which people. I do have a very weak body. I’m vaunerable to various things. I’m just not sure which BC will provide more, positive results ironically speaking. Any advice. What’s your opinion

4 Lena { 07.16.13 at 9:01 pm }

Is Nexplanon better than Implanon? Does it contain no side effects whatsoever?

5 Jessica { 08.09.13 at 3:38 pm }

Nexplanon has replaced Implanon so unless there is a clinic out there with a leftover stock of Implanon, they will offer you Nexplanon instead.

6 Loren { 08.16.13 at 8:40 pm }

I got Implanon last December, and getting it out next week. I have gained alot of weight, mood swings, and anxiety. I haven’t been able to lose weight at all. I noticed the weight, everyone else noticed the other. You get used to it being in your arm. At this point I’m just going to get it removed. It wasn’t that bad to tell the truth. It might work better in different women…IDK the difference between Nexplanon and Implanon…thought they were the same.

7 Courtnee { 11.26.13 at 7:06 am }

I have hae Nexplanon for almost 2 years now. It works magic let me tell you. But it effects every woman differently. With most of my friends who also have it, including me, it has helped with acne so much and the period problem. I’ve always had a irreguoar period, sometimes being heavy and others not. With Nexplanon i was on my period non-stop for about the first 3 months. All i wanted to do was get it removed, but i stuck through it. Today, i have not had my period in almost 9 months. To some that seems scary, but to me, i love it. No more buying tampons all the time or worrying when im going to start. I also lost quite a bit of weight. I lost 15 pounds in the first 2 months of having it. As scary as it is, i have had un protected sex, PLENTY of times and have not gotten pregnant. This has worked magic for me, and i highly recommend it. The beginning will more than likely be hell, but in the long run its worth it and it lasts 3 years.
*For all you ladies out there, i do not recommend getting and IUD, I Know a few ladies whom have gotten pregnant with it.
Thanks, hope i helped a little bit!

8 nik { 12.02.13 at 9:13 pm }

I had the Implanon and it was great. Awesome for me. Now I got the Nexplanon and I can’t for the life of me lose weight. In the month I’ve had it, I have gained about 15 pounds. I work out 5-6x a week up to 2 hours + a day and had bloodwork done and everything was fine. I see Loren has had that problem an someone give me answers? Thx

9 sabrina { 12.30.13 at 4:39 pm }

I have implanon for almost 3yrs and only problem is spotting once in a while until recently I’m getting a period. My doc said it would do that so other then that i have lost over 30lbst with it and hope when i get it changed in April i don’t have to get nexplanon since i have herd woman say bad things about it but looks like I’m going to have to.